1993-04-05 / Tupac Was Arrested To Hit Chauncey Wynn (M.A.D.) With a Baseball Bat

- Advertisement -

On Monday, April 5, 1993, Tupac was arrested and accused of trying to hit a fellow rapper Chauncey Wynn from the group M.A.D. with a baseball bat at a concert at Michigan State University.

The incident was triggered when Tupac got angry on stage and threw a $670 microphone that belonged to the group MAD. Rapper Chauncey Wynn publicly objected to Tupac’s behavior. A near-riot broke out when the audience stormed the entertainers; security guards and police had to clear more than 3000 people from around the stage.

Tupac testified he’d been clutching the baseball bat, which he said he used as a prop at the concert. He told the court he didn’t hit or attempt to hit anyone and that the bat had simply scared the other rapper.

Tupac, 23 at the time, pleaded quilty n Wednesday, September 14, 1994, to a misdemeanor in exchange for prosecutors dropping felony assault charges. He returned for sentencing on Wednesday, Octomber 26. He could have gotten up to 90 days in the East Lansing jail. Instead, he was sentenced to, and served, 10 days in jail, and ordered to perform 35 hours of communaty service.

One more reding for the case!

Rapper arrested after concert clash

By Natalie Barna
State News Staff Writer

The 24-year old rapper Tupar Shakur was arrested in Lansing’s Capital City Airport at 7:15 a.m. Monday for his involvement in an assault at the Auditorium on Sunday night during a talent contest.

Shakur, of Newhall, Calif., allegedly swung a bat at Chauncey Wynn, a member of the rap group M.A.D., after an argument over a microphone. Shakur is known by the stage name of 2Pac.

- Advertisement -

He was charged with one count of felonious assault, which carries a maximum penalty of four years in prison and a $2,000 fine.

He was arraigned Monday in East Lansing’s 54-B District Court and posted 10 percent of his $50,000 bond.

Police said Shakur had borrowed two microphones, each worth about $600, from Wynn to perform.

Halfway through Shakur’s third song, sound operators shut off the microphones because he was allegedly using obscene language.

Shakur becmae angry and threw one of the microphones on the floor, police said. Wynn went up on stage, picked up the microphone, handed it back to Shakur and asked him not to break the microphones, Wynn said.

Shakur allegedly swung a baseball bat at Wynn’s head after the exchange. Police said the bat was being used as a prop on stage.

James Davis, who was in the eighth row, said Shakur then jumped off the stage into the audience.

“It was pandemonium,” the MSU electrical engineering freshman said. “After that, they shut down the concert.”

Ingham County Prosecutor Don Martin said several witnesses who were interviewed after the incident told police they thought Shakur had had too much to drink.

Davis also said that Shakur told the audience that he was intoxicated.

Chief Judge David Jordan, who arraigned Shakur Monday, said the bond was set high to ensure the performer’s return for the preliminary exam.

“(Shakur) has no real ties to the community,” he said. “I mean, he was on his way to Los Angeles when we arrested him.”

Sally Murray, assistant director of MSU Performing Arts Facilities and Programs, said the concert was set up as a talent show and was promoted by Bill Lee, of Detroit.

She said Lee had rented the Auditorium for the show.

Three rap groups were scheduled to perform, but only 2Pac made it to the stage.

Audience members said the show started about an hour and a half late but was going well until Shakur allegedly assaulted Wynn.

Davis said he thinks the blame lies only with Shakur and not the University.

He said he wanted to get a refund for his money for admission, since the audience waited for longer than an hour and only listened to three songs before the show was stopped.

Shakur’s preliminary exam is set for April 16 in 54-B District Court.

Jordan said Shakur is scheduled to perform in Flint that day, so the court knew he would be in the state and able to make a court appearance.

- Advertisement -

Shakur’s attorney, Hugh Clarke, could not be reached for comment Monday.

- Advertisement -


0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Similar Articles


Would love your thoughts, please comment.x

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This